Assalamualaykum warahmatullah wabarakatu,Bismillah Hirah'manir Raheem.
Allahuma Sali'ala sayidina Muhammadin nabiyil ummi wa 'Ala ali wa sahbihi wa salim.
The Messenger of Allah P.B.U.H had addressed the people:
"O people! shadowing you is a great month, a blessed month, a month in which is a night greater than a thousand months. Allah has made compulsory fasting in this month and has made standing (in prayer) at night rewarding.
"Whoever draws nearer (to Allah) by performing any deed of good in it (Ramadan), he is as one who has performed a Fard in any (time) other than it. And whoever performs in it a Fard, he is as one who has performed seventy Fara'id in any (time) other than it.Ibn Khuzaymah, al-Bayhaqi
The Messenger of Allah P.B.U.H has said:
“Whoever stands through Ramadan (in prayer) with faith and hope of reward will be forgiven his past sins.”al-Bukhari and Muslim
Abu Hurayrah t narrates that the Messenger of Allah P.B.U.H would (strongly) encourage people to the standing (in prayer) of Ramadan, just short of ordaining it as a great (Fard) act. He (the Messenger P.B.U.H) would say:
“Whoever stands through Ramadan (in prayer) with faith and hope of reward will be forgiven his past sins.”Muslim
Some scholars are of the opinion that the reward of the standing (in prayer) of Ramadan is applicable to all the Salahs of Ramadan. Most scholars including Imam an-Nawawi are of the opinion that Tarawih is meant here.Fatwul Bari
“The Messenger of Allah went out and performed the night prayers of Ramadan and people followed him in prayer. In the morning people spoke about this and the number of people increased. He then went out on the second night and offered prayers and people offered behind him. In the morning people spoke about this and the number of people increased. Then he went out on the third night and offered prayers and people offered behind him. In the morning, people spoke about this and the number of people increased until the Masjid could not hold so many people. He did not go out on that night. People started to say Salah! Salah! But he did not go out to them until the time came for him to go for the Fajr prayer.
“After he completed the Fajr prayer , he faced the people, praised Allah and then said that he was not afraid of their state (numbers) the night before, ‘But I was afraid that it would become a Fard upon you.’
“People were discouraged, then he would (strongly) encourage people to the standing (in prayer) of Ramadan, just short of ordaining it as a great (Fard) act. He (the Messenger P.B.U.H) would say, ‘Whoever stands through Ramadan (in prayer) with faith and hope of reward will be forgiven his past sins.’”
The narrator of this Hadith (`Urwah ibn Zubayr ) mentions that this was the state of this prayer when the Messenger of Allah P.B.U.H passed away, and it was like that under the Khilafah of Abu Bakr and also the initial part of the Khilafah of `Umar . Thereafter `Umar gathered everyone behind Ubayy ibn Ka`b . And this was the first time people were gathered (through instruction) behind one Imam in Ramadan.al-Bukhari, Muslim, Ibn ibban (The words of this narration are that of Ibn ibban)
Abdur-Rawman ibn `Abdul Qari narrates:
“I went out with `Umar ibn Khabbab one night in Ramadan to the Masjid. There, the people were dispersed. (Here was) a person performing Salah alone, (there was) a person performing Salah with a few people following him. `Umar t said, ‘I think that if these (people) gathered behind one reciter (Imam) it would be best.’ He was determined on this and thus gathered them behind Ubayy ibn Ka`b . “I then went out with him on another night, and the people were performing Salah with one reciter (Imam). `Umar said, ‘this is a commendable innovation. And those who sleep from this are better than those who stand.’ He meant from this, those who sleep (early) to offer Salah late are better than those who offer Salah early.”al-Bukhari
Imam al-Bayhaqi states:
“It is clear that the Nabi P.B.U.H prevented (himself from) the offering of Salah with people (i.e. as a group) on the fourth night because of the apprehension that Allah may make it a Fard upon them (the Muslims - which might prove difficult for them). When Allah, the Mighty and Magnificent, took his soul to His mercy, its (possibility of) becoming Fard ended. Thus `Umar t did not have the apprehension that the Prophet P.B.U.H had (i.e. its possibility of becoming Fard). And he thought that the gathering of all behind one reciter would be best. He thus instructed this. What he did was not against the Book nor the Sunnah nor even the consensus of the Ummah (i.e. none of the other Sawabah objected to or even questioned this) and it was not a misguiding innovation but it was a good invention, based on the Prophet’s example of leading the congregation.”as-Sunan al-Sughra of al-Bayhaqi
- Tarawih Salah is Sunnah Mu-akkadah for both men and women.
- To perform Tarawih in jama`ah is Sunnah Kifayah for men, which means that there should be in a locality/Masjid at least one group of people who perform Salah in jama`ah.
- It is permissible for a person to perform Tarawih alone while others perform it together. However, it should not be such that due to everyone reading alone, no jama`ah is made, in which case all will be responsible for disregarding the sunnah.
- The time for Tarawih is from after Isha Salah to a little before as-Sub as-Sadiq. It can be performed either before or after the Witr Salah, although it is common practice that Witr follows Tarawih.
- If one has missed a few raka`at of Tarawih and the Imam has commenced the Witr, then one may join the Witr and complete the remainder of the Tarawih thereafter.
- Tarawih of 20 raka`at in groups of two is not only the example of the Sawabah, (other number of raka`at - 8, 12, 28, 36, 40, etc - have also been mentioned by various scholars) but it is also what is practised upon by the ummah in general.
- One should have a niyyah for 2 raka'at of Tarawih each time. After every four raka`at it is Mustawabb to sit a while and take a rest.
- One may remain silent or recite the Qur'an or tasbiw in a low voice or offer Nafl Salah separately during the period of rest after every four raka`at.
It is makruh to perform Tarawih sitting if one has the strength of qiyam (standing).
While performing Tarawih some people do not join the jama`ah from the beginning but join the Imam when he prepares to go into Ruku`. This is makruh. They should join at the beginning.
- If one does not get the jama`ah for the Fard of Isha’, he should first perform his Fard alone and then join the jama`ah for Tarawih.
Taken from Fisabilillah.org
Duaas greatly requested.